Saturday, May 31, 2008

Splashtop: simple and useful technology......goes on my wishlist


I have been keeping up with the release news and information about ASUS Eee PC and am convinced enough that it is going to be my next laptop purchase. And if I needed more reasons to do so, Splashtop provides me with a really strong one.

The simple and useful idea is to be able to launch complete applications, browsers, Skype, instant messengers, etc without having to boot the entire operating system which typically takes up to 2-3 minutes.

It is bundled within the motherboard and is already available on ASUS laptops and is know as ASUS Express Gate.

I have very little knowledge about how such a technology would work. I would think the challenge of course is to run the entire application (hopefully in its full capacity and not a subset of features) with network access, which means a subset of the operating system features. I am guessing an application that access disk/local filesystem might present its own additional challenges.

Here is a good video demo about it:

No comments: