Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ubuntu community strength

I am probably not the first to make this observation, but its worthy of a mention since the single biggest reason why I use Ubuntu is the strength of the community.

More often than not, you are going to find the information that is exactly relevant to what you are looking for in the Ubuntu forums or on another discussion through a simple Google search. That gives me enough confidence to try out anything that I am curious about and that remotely sounds of use to me. That makes the experience of using Ubuntu a very nice one and in turn the feedback the community developers receive of those new features improves them and in general the overall experience.

Since I have been having trouble enabling desktop effects (more on that in a later post), I have been trying out more than a few things including installing and removing packages (without completely understanding/reading the information). After one of such experiments, I ended up getting a "The X system keyboard settings differ from your current GNOME keyboard settings" message each time X server started. The fix, described with a brief explanation of the possible reason was found, where else, but on a Ubuntu forums thread.

No comments: