Friday, February 8, 2008

conky

As I spend more time on my laptop these days, I tend to play around with the more _cooler_ tools that make the whole Linux-as-a-desktop-experience a little more interesting. Very recently Linux Trovalds expressed his thoughts on Linux desktop which is an interesting read.

The tool I enjoyed mucking around with recently is called conky - a light weight system monitor that embeds itself into the desktop and you can configure it to feel and look exactly how you want it to.

Of course, the Ubuntu experience is worth spending a few minutes configuring it exactly the way you want it to with all the information you can get from this forum. As you try and set it up to give the exact bits of information, this list of conky variables is very useful, however I am having trouble setting up the following two things:

- battery display only works when the laptop is charging.
- the wireless-link bar doesn't display anything.

My .conkyrc

No comments: