Monday, February 4, 2008

mobile penguins


Ever since Google's Android development platform was released, I keep noticing the Linux mobile development platforms getting a lot more news. Either that, or its like when you are decide to buy a car and then suddenly you start noticing only that model on the road everywhere.

LiMo, recently announced it will be coming out with a standard specification for creating shared and open mobile applications/platforms. There is another group, Linux Phone Standards, doing pretty much the same thing.

Lot more details in this news.com article.

The most interesting however was reading about how Ubuntu is making a strong impact on stacking claim as being the best distribution for being the best platform for mobile/handheld devices. Gusty Gibbion (which I have yet to try out) includes support for Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (UME) project that "aims to derive an operating system for mobile internet devices using Ubuntu as a base".

There is this nice tutorial on quickly getting yourself acquainted with the embedded development framework and tools to get start.

I want to get myself involved with one of these projects, but I am still thinking of what application do I really want built into my phone? I am old fashioned I guess since besides wanting to make and receive phone calls reliably, I really don't expect much out of my phone.

No comments: